The Obama administration is planning raids to deport Central American families.
YOUR VOICE IS NEEDED: Call the White House TODAY!
Background: On Christmas Eve, media outlets reported that the Department of Homeland Security is planning raids to deport Central American children and adults who entered the United States seeking asylum and have had a final order of removal since January 1, 2014. This includes children and families who lost their asylum cases because they were unable to find adequate legal counsel, as well as individuals who were given deportation orders in absentia or through “rocket dockets” that are meant to expedite trials but in reality deny due process.
This announcement, coupled with the deportation of more than two million mothers, fathers, sisters and brothers over the course of this administration, has left people in fear of being separated from their families, detained and deported during the holiday season.
Raids are an inhumane and unjust response to the humanitarian crisis that has caused thousands to flee the horrific realities of brutal violence and extreme poverty in Guatemala, Honduras and El Salvador. Instead of deporting families seeking safety, the administration should see that they are provided adequate representation to seek asylum. The administration should also address the causes of the violence forcing so many individuals to flee.
Tell the White House to STOP planned raids on
Central American children and families!
Call the White House at 1-866-961-4293.
You can also call the White House Comment Line directly at 1-888-907-2053.
“I’m from City, State, Congregation/Community and as a person of faith, I urge President Obama to immediately STOP plans to deport Central American children and families. These individuals are fleeing violence and should have access to legal counsel so that they can apply for asylum and protection in the United States.”
Keep up the pressure on social media!
Ex: .@WhiteHouse As a person of faith I am OPPOSED to your plans to deport Central American kids and families who need PROTECTION. #Not1More
Follow @InterfaithImm on Twitter and “like” the Interfaith Immigration Coalition on Facebook to receive up-to-date alerts. For more information on the Sanctuary Movement to shelter immigrants from raids, go to sanctuary2014.org.
Letters and Petitions Against ICE Raids
- Press Release: Groups Delivered Petition to the White House Calling on President Obama to End All Deportation Raids and Give Relief to Refugee Families from Central America
- Sanctuary Movement Toolkit
Jesuit Social Research Institute:
- UNHCR: Children on the Run: Unaccompanied Children Leaving Central America and Mexico and the Need for International Protection
- USCCB: Mission to Central America: Flight of the Unaccompanied Immigrant Children to the United States
- KIND (Kids in Need of Defense) and Center for Gender & Refugee Studies: A Treacherous Journey: Child Migrants Navigating the U.S. Immigration System
- Women’s Refugee Commission: Forced From Home, The Lost Boys and Girls of Central America
- Vera Institute of Justice, Center on Immigration and Justice: The Flow of Unaccompanied Children Through the Immigration System A Resource for Practitioners, Policy Makers, and Researchers
- Refugee Council USA: Unaccompanied Alien Children (UAC)
- HHS, Office of Refugee Resettlement: About Unaccompanied Children’s Services