The Administration is escalating raids to deport Central American women and children.
YOUR VOICE IS NEEDED: Call the White House Today to tell them to Stop the Raids!
Despite continued outcry from faith, immigrants’ rights, and community leaders, Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) officials announced their plans to restart raids on Central American families, many of whom fled to the United States after facing extreme violence, persecution, and poverty. This latest announcement continues the Administration’s enforcement scheme of separating mothers and fathers from their children. Five months ago, when ICE announced its plans to target Central American families in raids, faith leaders from across the United States immediately responded in a statement on Christmas Day, offering sanctuary to those looking to fight their deportation orders and seek shelter from the raids. Nonetheless, ICE raids began in several states, rounding up and detaining 121 individuals. This includes children and families who lost their asylum cases because they were unable to find adequate legal counsel, as well as individuals who were given deportation orders in absentia or through “rocket dockets” that are meant to expedite trials but in reality deny due process.
Raids are an inhumane and unjust response to the humanitarian crisis that has caused thousands to flee the horrific realities of brutal violence and extreme poverty in Guatemala, Honduras, and El Salvador. These raids are part of ICE’s systemic maltreatment of a humanitarian situation primarily as a border security issue under “Operation Border Guardian” and creating a climate of fear across immigrant communities. Instead of deporting families seeking safety, the Administration should see that they are provided adequate representation to seek asylum. The Administration should also address the causes of the violence forcing so many individuals to flee.
Tell the White House to STOP ICE raids on Central American children and families!
Call the White House: 1-888-907-2053
“I’m from [City, State, Congregation/Community,] and as a person of faith, I urge President Obama to immediately STOP the inhumane and unjust ICE raids to deport Central American mothers and children. Raids don’t make our communities any safer. These individuals are fleeing violence and should have access to legal counsel so that they can apply for asylum and protection in the United States.”
Keep up the pressure on social media!
Ex: .@WhiteHouse As a person of faith I am OPPOSED to your plans to deport Central American kids and families who need PROTECTION. #Not1More
Follow @InterfaithImm on Twitter and “like” the Interfaith Immigration Coalition on Facebook to receive up-to-date alerts. For more information on the Sanctuary Movement to shelter immigrants from raids, go to sanctuarynotdeportation.org.
Letters and Petitions Against ICE Raids
- Press Release: Groups Delivered Petition to the White House Calling on President Obama to End All Deportation Raids and Give Relief to Refugee Families from Central America
- Sanctuary Movement Toolkit
Jesuit Social Research Institute:
- UNHCR: Children on the Run: Unaccompanied Children Leaving Central America and Mexico and the Need for International Protection
- USCCB: Mission to Central America: Flight of the Unaccompanied Immigrant Children to the United States
- KIND (Kids in Need of Defense) and Center for Gender & Refugee Studies: A Treacherous Journey: Child Migrants Navigating the U.S. Immigration System
- Women’s Refugee Commission: Forced From Home, The Lost Boys and Girls of Central America
- Vera Institute of Justice, Center on Immigration and Justice: The Flow of Unaccompanied Children Through the Immigration System A Resource for Practitioners, Policy Makers, and Researchers
- Refugee Council USA: Unaccompanied Alien Children (UAC)
- HHS, Office of Refugee Resettlement: About Unaccompanied Children’s Services