Background: President Trump has issued multiple executive orders that target immigrants, refugees, asylum seekers, and Muslims. Plans are being made to build a border wall and more detention centers, and our undocumented community members have been caught up in immigration raids, including a Methodist lay leader in Kansas, a mother in Arizona, multiple DACA recipients, and men coming out of a church ministry.
Congress can stop Trump from building a wall and increasing detention & deportations. Congress has “the power of the purse,” which means they can decide whether or not to fund the $7.5 billion that Trump is asking for in fiscal years 2017 and 2018, over and above last year’s funding for immigration enforcement, to begin implementing his plan. Trump’s budget proposals would cut funding for education, housing, school lunch programs, and poverty-focused international assistance, and spend billions of dollars to dramatically expand immigration enforcement, targeting our undocumented community members, detaining children and separating families.
Walling off America, reducing community safety, and turning our back on those in need are affronts to our country’s values of family unity, fairness, and equality. Our tax dollars should be spent alleviating poverty and investing in our future — not rounding up our community members. This is Congress’s first test to see if they will write President Trump a check to fund his wall, deportation force, and detention centers.
CALL YOUR MEMBER OF CONGRESS TODAY!
Your Senators and Representatives: (866) 961-4293*
*Please call this line 3 times to be connected with your 1 Representative and 2 Senators
Sample Script: “I’m your constituent from [City, State, Zip Code], and I urge you to NOT fund President Trump’s wall, deportation force and detention centers, and instead do everything in your power to rescind his immigration and refugee executive orders. Our tax dollars should be spent alleviating poverty and investing in our future — not rounding up our community members. My community welcomes refugees and immigrants.”
Please also share a personal story about why welcoming immigrants and refugees is important to you, your community, etc. Let them know the specific ways that immigrants and refugees contribute and are welcomed in your community.
You can also tweet @ your Senators/Representatives with these messages:
- .@HANDLE, show that #AmericaWelcomes. Refuse to fund Trump’s wall, deportation force & detention centers #NoBanNoWallNoRaids
- .@HANDLE, stop Trump from targeting refugees and immigrants. Don’t fund his deportation force. #NoBanNoWallNoRaids
- .@HANDLE, Don’t fund Trump’s morally reprehensible EOs. Stand against them & refuse to fund them. #NoBanNoWallNoRaids
See shareable graphics that you can tweet out here.
Here are some additional actions you can take:
(1) Sign the Petition! Sign on to tell Congress to stop Trump from building a wall and increasing detention & deportations.
(2) Rapid Response Toolkit: Use this toolkit to join together with refugee resettlement agencies, refugee leaders, faith leaders, and community members to host a mobilization at your local airport or other locations, and bear witness in opposition to the refugee and Muslim ban. Visit CounterAct.blog and getgroundgame.com/airportprotests.html to see events happening near you. We want to highlight all events on a map so that community members will be able to get your event details and join you in action. Click to add your events: http://bit.ly/RWEventReg.
- .@realDonaldTrump & @WhiteHouse Don’t stop welcoming refugees. Resettlement demonstrates the best of our values #RefugeesWelcome #GreaterAs1
- .@realDonaldTrump & @WhiteHouse Keep America welcoming. Refugee resettlement is a proud American legacy with bipartisan support #RefugeesWelcome #GreaterAs1
- Countering ‘alternative facts’ with real ones. FACT: #Refugees are the most vetted people to enter the US. #RefugeesWelcome #GreaterAs1
- .@RealDonaldTrump & @WhiteHouse: Today’s EO is the same unconstitutional EO we saw last month & we are still against it. #GreaterAs1 #RefugeesWelcome
- .@realDonaldTrump & @WhiteHouse Denying Muslim refugees safety is an affront to religious liberty #RefugeesWelcome interfaithimmigration.org/5000religiousleaderletter/
- .@realDonaldTrump & @WhiteHouse More than 5,000 faith leaders are opposed to any policy that would keep Muslim refugees from seeking safety: interfaithimmigration.org/5000religiousleaderletter/
(4) Reach out to your partners in the business, health, educator, law enforcement, and faith community! Urge them to sign onto these sector-specific letters supporting resettlement and opposing discrimination:
Follow @InterfaithImm on Twitter and “like” the Interfaith Immigration Coalition on Facebook to receive up-to-date alerts. Please tell us if you take action (opens a new webpage)!