Please see the resources below for information on national Action Alerts and recently introduced legislation, including bill sponsors and summary information.
For state-by-state action alerts, please click here.
Other National Action Alerts:
- Click Here to Tell the Department of Homeland Security and Immigration Customs Enforcement
to Stop ICE Raids and Respect Places of Worship
- Click Here to Tell the White House & Congress that you OPPOSE Trump’s Decision to Detain Families, Turn Away Asylum Seekers, and Force Local Police to Serve as Immigration Agents
- Click Here to Tell the White House & Congress that you OPPOSE Trump’s Announcement to Grind Refugee Resettlement To a Halt & Bar Refugees from Certain Countries
- Click Here to Tell the White House & Congress that you OPPOSE Trump Administration’s Raids Tearing Families & Communities Apart
- Click Here to Urge Your Senators to Champion Refugee Resettlement in Confirmation Hearings
- Click Here to Tell DHS Secretary Johnson to Stop Detaining and Start Protecting Haitians
- Click Here to Stop Congress from Cutting Refugee Resettlement Funds
- Click Here to Tell House Leadership to STOP Bill that Severely Restricts Protections for Refugees and Others Fleeing Persecution
- Click Here to Tell House Leadership NOT to Bring Anti-Refugee Bill to a Vote
- Click Here to Support The Fair Day in Court for Kids Act
National Action Alert:
TAKE ACTION TODAY: Tell Your Local, State, and National Leaders to Welcome Refugees
Background: Right now, as we prepare for President-elect Donald Trump to take office in January, it is more important than ever for all of our elected officials to hear that their communities welcome refugees. Refugee resettlement saves lives, encourages other countries to keep their doors open to people needing protection, and promotes regional stability and global security. We cannot turn our backs on the refugees we have pledged to welcome. Nor can we discriminate against individuals based on where they’re from or what religion they practice. Refugee resettlement must continue to be a cornerstone of U.S. global leadership.
More than 65 million people have been persecuted and forced from their homes and are seeking safety. As a nation, we must uphold our values of generosity, hospitality and compassion. Our actions must match gravity of this displacement crisis and live up to our welcoming legacy. Please spread the word and have everyone you know share this alert!
Call your Senators and Representatives: 1-866-940-2439
Tell Them Your Community Welcomes Refugees
Please call the same number three times to be connected with your Representative and both of your Senators.
Here’s a sample of what to say: “I am a constituent from [CITY, STATE], and I urge you to welcome refugees and support the U.S. refugee resettlement program. Resettlement is a core American legacy that extends hospitality and offers a chance for refugees to rebuild their lives in safety and dignity. My community welcomes refugees and I urge you to reflect the best of our nation by supporting refugee resettlement in the United States.”
Feel free to share a personal story about the importance of refugees to you, your faith, your community, your business, etc. Let them know the specific ways that refugees benefit and are welcomed into your community, and why refugee protection is so important to you.
You can also tweet your policy makers: “.@SENATOR/REPRESENTATIVE, my community stands #WithRefugees! Show that #AmericaWelcomes by supporting U.S. refugee resettlement! #RefugeesWelcome”
Share This Message with Your State and Local Officials!
Your state and local leaders need to hear the same message. Tell them that your community welcomes refugees. To find your governor, state legislators, mayor, and local officials, click here: https://www.usa.gov/elected-officials. To tweet your state and local officials, click to find the twitter handles for your governor and state legislators.
It is more important than ever for all our nation’s lawmakers to represent the hospitality that communities across the country are demonstrating. Take action today to stand with refugees.
For more tips on how to make your voice heard with Members of Congress, click here: https://twitter.com/i/moments/798297193559904258